IPL Laser, or “Intense Pulsed Light”, is a light therapy treatment performed at Bay Dermatology in Tampa. This treatment method can be used for unwanted hair, wrinkles, and discoloration. Continue reading to learn more about how this treatment can provide benefits for multiple cosmetic concerns.
How Does IPL Laser Treatment Work?
IPL laser treatment is similar to other types of cosmetic laser treatments, but with a few key differences. IPL gives off several different wavelengths of light, not just one like other laser treatments. The broad spectrum light is dispersed instead of being targeted at a very specific area of skin. This leads to less tissue damage while still reaching the second layer of skin for deep treatment.
Treatment is similar to other laser treatments in that it uses heat to break down damaged skin tissue. This initiates the skin’s natural healing process, causing new, healthy skin cells to replace the damaged ones. In hair removal, IPL works by using heat to eradicate the hair follicle and prevent future hair growth.
Multiple treatments may be required to achieve the desired results. For damaged or discolored skin, three to six treatments may be needed, with about one month between each treatment. For the removal of unwanted hair, six to 12 treatments may be needed to fully stem hair growth.
How Can IPL Laser Treatment Be Used?
IPL laser treatment can be used on areas of skin all over the body. However, it’s most effective when used on even areas, namely the face. This treatment option may help reduce or eliminate the following skin concerns:
- Sun damaged skin
- Age spots and pigmentation
- Freckles and birthmarks
- Broken blood vessels
- Varicose veins
- Unwanted hair
Treatment generally isn’t an effective treatment option for large keloid scars, darker complexions, and light-colored hair.
What Are The Benefits?
- It’s a non-invasive, non-surgical treatment.
- It works by triggering the skin’s natural healing process, eliminating the need for injections of artificial substances.
- It has a fast recovery time lasting just three to seven days.
- The treatment is short and is typically completed in just 20 to 30 minutes.
- The light from the IPL laser doesn’t harm the top layer of skin, reducing the risk for post-treatment discomfort and side effects.
- The scattered light emitted by an IPL laser reduces the risk of heat damage to the skin.
An experienced dermatologist at Bay Dermatology can help you determine is IPL laser treatment is right for you. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and learn more about this treatment method.