Having acne affects more than your physical appearance. It has been linked to depression, poor self-image, low self-esteem, and even social withdrawal. The physical and psychological effects can outlast the acne itself, regardless of your age and severity.
This common skin issue that develops when dead skin, excess oils, bacteria, and hair block pores in your skin. This skin condition can also be severe and painful, like in the case of cystic acne.
Some factors are generally thought to play a role:
- Hormones: in pregnancy, hormonal birth control, and teenage years
- Genetics: family history of acne
- Skin type: naturally oily skin
What Role Does Stress Play?
While stress does not directly cause acne, studies have shown that it does aggravate existing cases. Stress breakouts usually occur on the oiliest parts of your face – forehead, nose, and chin.
Stress has also been found to slow down the healing of wounds, including acne. These breakouts take longer to heal and have a higher likelihood of becoming more severe.
Some people also tend to pick on their pimples when stressed or anxious, which aggravates blemishes.
What can be done? There is good news, great news. Acne treatments vary depending on severity, age, and other factors unique to you. Fortunately, you can treat it by amping up your treatment in the following ways:
- Certain ingredients like salicylic acid in your cleanser will clear your pores of excess oils.
- Use a lightweight moisturizer to avoid further irritation. Skipping your moisturizer will cause your skin to produce more oils to make up for the lack of hydration.
- Avoid dairy products and sugar in your diet.
- Do not pick at your pimples; and instead, use a pimple patch.
To ensure that you are treating your acne appropriately, visit a skincare professional to determine the cause and appropriate treatment.
How We Can Help
Bay Dermatology, voted as Tampa’s number one Dermatologists and Cosmetic Surgeons, provides services in 8 locations within Tampa Bay. Our board-certified dermatologists and medical providers are dedicated to the health and beauty of your skin. Contact us today for an appointment!